Recall: Playing Hide and Seek With Your Dog
PREREQUISITE: Your dog should be coming to you from across a room when you are not in view.
- Treat Pouch
TRAINING ENVIRONMENT: Your home with as few distractions present (usually other people or pets) as possible.
- If your dog follows you around and you can’t get away from him toss a handful of his kibble on the floor in one room.
Go into the next room out of sight from your dog and call him/her.
- Throw a party when he arrives.
- Do this three times.
- Now, go farther from your dog. This can be with a room between you or down a hallway.
- Call your dog.
- When he/she comes to you, throw a party.
- Gradually increase the difficulty for your dog.
- Once he’s finding you when you’re out in the open consider places you might actually hide in your home.
- If your dog does well with you and you have children, have them start the game from the beginning – they are masters of hide and seek!
- PUPPIES: Three to five recalls per day.
- DOGS: At least five recalls a day.
- A recall is calling your dog and having him/her come to you.
AT THE END OF THIS STEP:
Your dog should be coming to you from anywhere in the house.
My dog won’t come to me.
- Make it easier by going back to the last step where your dog was successful and work up more slowly.
- Add more to your party – play with his/her favorite toy, use more delicious food, etc.